Taking good care of your body requires a holistic approach—your skin may need pampering from time to time, and your digestive system requires a toxin cleanse after certain periods. Your eyes and mouth also need the same care and attention, perhaps even more so than the rest of your body. They work day and night to allow you to operate normally, after all. Unfortunately, vision and dental insurance are rarely covered by traditional health insurance policies.
Infections and broken bones are all well and governed by health insurance plans. Still, infected gums and fading vision are rarely covered, left entirely upon the shoulders of a good dental and vision insurance plan. Although the costs can be staggering, it’s difficult to consider yourself as a healthy person with eyesight impaired and teeth are decaying.
There is much to be considered when it comes to these insurances, but this guide is here to set things straight—you need it. Without further ado, here’s everything you need to know about vision and dental insurance plans:
It might be best to skimp on vision insurance if you have no eye problems and have a 20/20 vision. In your yearly physical examination, your general practitioner will do some eye tests to examine your vision and will be able to diagnose if something is wrong. Regular medical insurance covers examinations and non-elective eye surgeries should problems arise.
What it covers
- Basic eye examinations: Basic eye examinations are part of your annual checkups. Here, the general practitioner will check your eyes’ health and performance. They will test your eyes for color blindness, blurry vision, peripheral vision range, and the presence of eye conditions such as glaucoma or cataracts, among others.
- Surgeries: Health insurance plans usually cover on-elective or medically necessary surgeries. These include the treatment of infections, diseases, and injuries. LASIK and other corrective surgeries are not usually covered because providers deem them as elective surgeries, but vision insurance plans typically include part of the expenses.
- Eyewear: Corrective eyewear is often partially covered by vision insurance. Even prescription sunglasses may be covered. The coverage is typically limited to eyewear bought from approved centers.
Dental care is a must—pain in your mouth can hardly be bearable. You’ll want to exhaust all means to ensure that they remain at their best. Preventive care can be expensive, especially when it comes to fillings, cleanings, and x-rays. However, you must never skip dentist trips. The right dental insurance plan will ensure that you get the best possible deal, keeping your smile intact for the years to come.
What it covers
- Preventive and restorative care: Trips to the dentist must be regarded with the utmost priority, as exams and cleanings need to be done every six months. The right dental insurance plan will cover preventive care. Furthermore, restorative care will also be covered, which pertains to minor procedures such as fillings for decayed teeth. More often than not, root canals are also part of plans.
- Oral surgery: Teeth removal is a common occurrence, as with the treatment of infections, gum disease, and other gum tissue issues.
- Orthodontics and Prosthodontics: These can be considered as one of the most expensive treatments of dental care. Installation, maintenance, and removal of braces, retainers, dentures, and bridges are all covered.
The Right Insurance Provider
There’s no denying that your vision and dental care should be deemed as non-negotiables. As such, ensuring that you get the best possible care is necessary. While dental and vision insurance plans can be expensive, your health does not begin and end with mere infections and broken bones. Your vision will eventually wane, and your teeth decay, so make sure you have the right plans to set them right. If you’re looking for the best health insurance provider in Texas, Abbot Benefits offers the best possible solutions. We provide the community with exceptional service and guidance, helping individuals arrive at the best possible insurance plans for their health. Reach out to us today!